-
March 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM
#31
Frameline
Guest
Have any of guys out there thought positiveley for a change in this modern day and age?
Have you considered that Kodak are knocking out that many cartridges that by the time they have it flagged up and actioned a cure,literally thousands of units have been sold?
If this is the case then perhaps we should endure (for a short while at least) the odd jitteryu cartridge-of which-I have had ONE ONLY in twenty years of using the stuff,and that was last year.
------------------
-
March 11th, 2002, 07:29 PM
#32
StopMoWorks
Guest
Conversations about the supposed demise of Super 8 has occured before on this board. Again, another paranoia or histeria as a result of rumors & hearsay? Someone jumping to uninformed conclusions just because of this cartridge jittery issue? Ludwig posted, that jittery problem would be resolved. What was his source? Although, I think Pedro's info might be correct, I cannot be sure. What was his source? How is he able to get so much "inside" knowledge? Then you got that overpriced metal pressure plate accessory for S8 cartridge, that someone initially "claimed" would help fix the jittery problem.....another piece of misinformation.
I think many out here are more qualified or more experienced than me with Super8 and I get the feeling that nobody here has contacted Kodak in USA directly, to get some "firsthand information"? I am guessing though, that Kodak may be vague about the situation or problems about the so-called jittery problem or other issues about Super8 (i.e.continuing the format). On Kodak's site they only speak in generalities and as Roger posted in past, they never seem to be really proactive about S8. Again, as I posted before, we seem to be going around in an endless circle and just talking among ourselves without knowing the "facts".
Lionel
------------------
-
March 12th, 2002, 04:19 AM
#33
gaspode
Guest
I was talking to some one the other day, and they were saying that, a few months ago, they would've loved some of the jittery carts, as they wanted a 'wbbley' film effect in one of their projects, but they ended up borrowing a DV cam which had this feature
------------------
'It comes in Pints?!'
-
March 12th, 2002, 07:10 AM
#34
#Pedro
Guest
Mikko: That washer disc is a small plastic distance disc between the cardrige case and the full reel of film. This disc Kodak France purchased by an external supplyer. In 2000 they changed that supplyer and the quality dropped (rests of plastic at the surface of the disc blocked the whole transport mechanism).
Now the disk is considered to be o.k. again, but there may be an interaction between lubrification, pressure of the plate and surface of the disc when it comes to jitter.
Pedro
------------------
-
March 12th, 2002, 07:26 AM
#35
#Pedro
Guest
StopMoWorks:
My info source is very simple, it?s directly from Kodak Germany (I recieved a letter) and the technical details I know from my local dealer (Bavaria Film Munich) who is a K40 "power seller" with some 100 carts per month. They are always directly in contact with Kodak and have special agreements concerning 200 ft reels+developing. Their interest is to sell and trade cameras & equipment, so they rather would be interested in creating panic concerning the only serious film stock available. They said, that Kodak promised nearly every month, that the following batch will be o.k. again, until they finaly stopped delivery this year and there is no more fresh film delivered this year, only 04/2004. Now they havn?t any singular cardrige to sell and are in a pretty bad situation!
It would be too good to have any more direct information from Rochester, but I fear that Kodak USA is much less informative than Kodak in Europe.
The pressure plate info I have direcly from the Andec film lab in Berlin, they published it on their webpage. The plate had been developed in a time where there weren?t any jitter problems. The aim had been to optimize the relatively bad pic stability of S8, basicly with new film stock like VNF and negative, which never had been optimized to run smoothly thru the cart. But also, to give more reliable results with the K40 cart.
So I asked at Andec, what?s about the jitter problem, and the answered, that it has been tested positively. However, really defective carts cannot be fixed with that plate.
Bavaria in Munich will do further independend test, too and I?m very curious about the results.
I would like to know, what info sources Ludwig has, as he is so shure, that the next batch will be o.k. again. That would be too good!!!
Pedro
------------------
-
March 12th, 2002, 04:37 PM
#36
hightreason
Guest
My God, you can't be serious! I just shot my whole student project on Super 8 and the picture looked jittery through the diopter when it was running film through. I figured this must be a problem with the diopter, but you mean to tell me that there is actually film out there like this???! That's horrible news. I haven't gotten my film back from the lab yet, but I may need one of those image stabilizers. Let me know how well they work. I've put too much money into this production to have this happen. I just bought my film three weeks ago directly from Kodak. I can't believe they're still giving this stuff out!!
Bryan Smith
[email protected]
------------------
-
March 12th, 2002, 10:23 PM
#37
StopMoWorks
Guest
Thanks Pedro. Too bad Kodak in Rochester are silent....no recall of cartridges or anything....or not even some kind of bulletin/notice about specific S8 cartridges (date,#code, etc.) Since they are our primary film source maybe they figure, they got us by our "cojones" (which they kind of do) We have to get the information from other sources. 
At least, as a result of the jittery issue we got some info about image stabilization software! Those programs are probably meant for minor stabilization corrections and not to correct serious or major jitteriness due to defective S8 cartridges. Roger is in an interesting position now with his DV transfer service, and can possibly observe the extent of the jittery problem (kind of a like a micro-sampling/survey)
Lionel
------------------
-
March 13th, 2002, 05:36 PM
#38
mattias
Guest
you're right. you can't see what the film sees. what kind of camera did you use?
/matt
-
March 14th, 2002, 04:36 AM
#39
hightreason
Guest
A more productive post here as opposed to my previous rant. Could you people see the jitter through the diopter or was it not til you got the film back that you found out about the jitteryness? I've just been racking my brain trying to figure out how I could see the jitter through the diopter if it's a registration problem. After all, I'm not seeing what the film does, I'm seeing reflected light that is split off from the light that hits the film to be channeled into the diopter, right? If I'm seeing it through the diopter, is this the same jitter problem? Just nervous because I still haven't gotten my film back and am wondering what to expect.
Bryan Smith
------------------
-
March 14th, 2002, 04:37 AM
#40
hightreason
Guest
A more productive post here as opposed to my previous rant. Could you people see the jitter through the diopter or was it not til you got the film back that you found out about the jitteryness? I've just been racking my brain trying to figure out how I could see the jitter through the diopter if it's a registration problem. After all, I'm not seeing what the film does, I'm seeing reflected light that is split off from the light that hits the film to be channeled into the diopter, right? If I'm seeing it through the diopter, is this the same jitter problem? Just nervous because I still haven't gotten my film back and am wondering what to expect.
Bryan Smith
------------------
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
Bookmarks